It began as a group of friends making experimental 4-track cassette recordings in rural Louisiana but became the country-wide lightning rod for lo-fi underground talent in the 90’s. Bands like Neutral Milk Hotel, The Apples in Stereo, Of Montreal, and Beulah…orbited a nucleus of childhood friends that would go to produce some of the most notable indie records of the decade.
Hear how kids in a sleepy college town created their own music scene and formed a collective identity rooted in avant-garde home recording. It’s the Elephant 6 Recording Company.
If you like what you hear rate + review + subscribe to Signal Cannon!
- Signal Cannon is produced by me, Billy Donahoe. It’s distributed by Play Too Much. To listen to last week’s episode, click here.
- Our theme music was written by Eric Donahoe. Show art by Julianne Waber and Sara Waber.
- “All Jets Are Gonna Fall Today” come from the Chocolate USA album of the same name. It was written by Julien Koster and released in 1992 by Bar/None Records.
- “The King of Carrot Flowers Part One” is by Neutral Milk Hotel. It was released on the album In the Aeroplane Over the Sea in 1998 by Merge Records.
- “Tidal Wave” is by The Apples in Stereo, released by Elephant 6 in 1993 on the Tidal Wave 7” EP and again on the album Fun Trick Noisemaker in 1995 by SpinART Records and Elephant 6.
- “Energy” by The Apples in Stereo was released in 2007 on the album New Magnetic Wonder by Simian Records, Yep Roc Records, and Elephant 6.
- “California Demise” by the Olivia Trevor Control, was released in 1994 by the Elephant 6 Recording Company.
- “For the Planet Pluto” by The Music Tapes was released in 2009 by Merge Records.
- “Song Against Sex” is by Neutral Milk Hotel. It was released on the 1996 album On Avery Island by Merge Records.
Thanks for listening. I’m Billy Donahoe and this is Signal Cannon.